Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Why I Write



I'm an auditor. The reason I became an auditor is mostly linked to the fact that I wasn't exactly well informed as to what auditors actually do. But that's beside the point. My point being that being an auditor is an extremely unfulfilling, ungrateful, unrewarding job. Not in the sense that my employer doesn't appreciate the fact that I slave away for them (although that's also debatable), more in the sense that my clients would rather not have me there (awesome feeling to have every single working day, btw).

Last year I worked at a university, teaching and mentoring and pep talking and motivating and guiding. There was at least one moment of every day, no matter how small, when I felt like I made some small positive difference in someone else's life. Had it not been for my year in academia I would never even have known what I'd be missing. But I do miss it. I constantly crave the knowledge that I have directly influenced someone's life/day/unconscious moment for the better.


So that's why I write. Obviously it's very self-serving as well. It's a creative outlet for me to keep me from either going postal on my co-workers or inflicting self harm to myself on particularly rancid days, but also a tiny little way for me to impact on someone else's life. Even if I can just make one person smile, or roll their eyes, or swoon, or make them think of a situation from a different angle, I know I've done well.

End ramble for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment